Welcome to our walking event calendar. Please use the search features below to find walks located near you.
- This event has passed.
Peace Slow and Beautiful Moab Retreat
October 11, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - October 14, 2018 @ 12:00 pm$100.00
TYPE: Multi-day retreat | PACE: Conversational/Gentle | TERRAIN: Trails | DISTANCE: Walks from 1-3 miles
Walk Description: Join us for special experience that allows us to disconnect from the stresses of our daily lives, connect to ourselves and others through the peaceful and beautiful natural environment of Moab, Utah. This is an opportunity to spend a weekend with other contemplative-minded people as we move slower, go deeper and explore the serenity of the desert. The retreat will be led by Sean McNamara, a long time practitioner who has taught meditation for nearly 20 years. He is a professional Member of Mayu Meditation Cooperative, Mayu Meditation Cooperative and author of Meditation X: Telekinesis, and Defy Your Limits. Dawn Kirkwood, founding Member-Owner of Walk2Connect, will be assisting Sean during the retreat. Throughout the weekend, we will participate in a total of 4 walks/hikes ranging from 1-3 miles. Each walk will offer opportunities for quiet reflection and meditation as we experience the desert landscape together. Outside of the walks, we will have multiple opportunities to gather as a group as we share meals, share stories and connect through our experience together. In order to keep this intimate and manageable, the group size is limited to 12 participants.
- Friday late morning to late afternoon: Canyonlands with brief stop at Newspaper Rock
(we will meet in town and then caravan/carpool to the trailhead, **pack a lunch, water and snacks for the trail)
- Saturday morning to mid-day: Location TBD
(we will meet in town and then caravan/carpool to the trailhead, **pack a lunch, water and snacks)
- Saturday evening: Upheaval Dome
(we will meet in town and then caravan/carpool to the trailhead, **pack dinner, water, and snacks, and flashlights for hiking in the dark)
- Sunday morning to mid-day: River hike– Note: we will have several stream crossings (water depths up to your thighs), bring appropriate footwear and clothing(we will meet in town and then caravan/carpool to the trailhead, ** pack lunch, water and snacks)
Thursday Night – Dinner as a group at a restaurant in Moab for those who arrive on Thursday. (Restaurant TBD)
Friday Morning to late afternoon – Hike/Walk in Canyonlands
Friday Evening – Dinner as a group at a restaurant (Restaurant TBD)
Saturday Morning to mid-afternoon – Hike with lunch on the trail (Location TBD)
Saturday Evening – Night hike to Upheaval Dome and dinner on the hike
Sunday Morning to mid-afternoon – River hike
Sunday Afternoon – Program ends
Cost/Ticket: The Cost for this experience is $100 (Does not include food, transportation and lodging/camping). This will give everyone the ability to manage these expenses to suit their personal needs.
- Four guided walks/hikes throughout various areas of Moab, Utah
- Guidance through contemplative practices from Sean McNamara
- Your contribution helps support the Walk2Connect Cooperative, which hosts 40-50 free community walks every week.
Retreat Leaders: Sean McNamara is a published author and has mentored meditation students for over a decade through group meditation, extended retreats, and one-on-one sessions. He presents powerful, transformative meditation instructions in a way that can be received by a wide audience. He avoids any religious overlay and prioritizes the experiences of peace, relief, and compassion above all else. Sean celebrates the connection and integration of walking and a conteplative lifestyle. He is excited to share his experience and knowledge and hopes to help others experience some of the whole-health benefits and pure joy that he receives from his practices.
Schedule and Planning: We will send out more details as the trip approaches. We realize that it may seem premature to post an event 10 months in advance, but October is a very popular time for Moab due to the excellent weather that time of year. Therefore, it’s highly recommended that you book your lodging as soon as possible, as most hotel rooms fill up months in advance. It’s also recommended to find lodging close to the center of town, as our caravans/carpools will meet somewhere close to the visitor center off Main Street.
- Best Western Canyonlands Inn
- Best Western Greenwell Inn
- Up the Creek Campground (camping in town)
- The Gonzo Inn
- Discover Moab
– Dogs are not allowed in the parks. Also, due to the contemplative nature, we ask that our furry friends stay behind for this retreat.
– Wear/Bring: Hiking boots or trail runners, comfortable socks & clothing (pref. non-cotton!), light backpack for snacks and plenty of water, cap or hat, and sunglasses/sunscreen. Clothing that can get wet and appropriate water shoes that you can cross streams with, and a head lamp or flashlight for night hikes. The weather is usually beautiful in October, but we will be spending much of our time in the desert. The days will be warm, and nights can be cool, so please bring appropriate layers.
– Cancellation Policy: We only cancel in extreme weather conditions on our path, such as ice, hail, or lightening.
Welcome Waivers: Please fill out the online “Welcome Waiver” or download, print, sign, and turn in a hard copy if this will be your first Walk2Connect walking experience in 2017.
– Credit/Debit Card: You can use the ticket feature below by selecting the number of tickets you would like and then move through your cart.
– Check: You can email or call one of the organizers below to hold your spot and then mail a check