Welcome to our walking event calendar. Please use the search features below to find walks located near you.
- This event has passed.
(Walk Hawai’i) South Kihei Road
June 1 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
TYPE: Walk & Talk| PACE: Conversational | TERRAIN: Mostly Sidewalk, Some Beach | DISTANCE: Approx. 6.5 miles or 3 hours |
Description: Join us for our monthly long-distance walk honoring those people who have died while walking in Maui in 2019. This particular walk will start at the location of the 7th pedestrian fatality in Wailea and end at Sugar Beach Bake Shop. We’ll be walking mostly sidewalk down South Kihei Road but do come prepared to experience the changing nature of this street, as more cars utilize the road and new developments are under construction. While this walk is serious in nature we won’t be discussing the issue, rather experiencing the route through our senses and connecting with one another as fellow walkers.
Walk Leader:Nicole Huguenin has been leading community walks since 2013. She is a Founding Member-Owner of Walk2Connect Coop and has lead a few walks for the organization in Maui, HI. In addition to Walk2Connect, she also is the Founder of Dream Together Crew, the Chapter Organizer for Chilis on Wheels- Maui, and is currently launching The Trailer of Trash to reduce and redefine our relationship to waste. She offers all this work freely to the community, consider supporting her by way of Patreon.
Schedule and Planning: We will meet at the corner of Wailea Alanui St. & Malukai Dr at 8:00am. We highly recommend having someone drop you off, carpooling, or taking the Kihei Islander Bus from Uwapo to Wailea as parking will add a 1/4-1/2 mile onto your walk at the Shops of Wailea. There will be one car with 4 seats that can drive people back to Wailea once we are done. We will most likely be done by 10:30ish, 11am at the very latest. Plan for heat and also plan to jump in the ocean to cool off.
– Dogs are not allowed on this one.
– Accessibility: Those in a wheelchair or pushing a stroller are highly encouraged to join this walk, the path is paved and generally accessible to all.
– To Bring: Plenty of water, protection from sun, bathing suit (for a post-walk ocean swim), hat, long sleeve breathable shirt. We discourage slippah’s unless they are OOFOS (made specifically for walking), and a snack.
– Restrooms, water, and snacks will be available at local establishments throughout the walk.
– If you are interested in leading your own community-based walks in Maui please reach out to Walk Leader Nicole ( info below).
Please fill out the online “Welcome Waiver” or download, print, sign, and turn in a hard copy if this will be your first Walk2Connect walking experience in 2019.
RSVP: Feel free to call Nicole at 808-633-4811 (no text) or email her at [email protected] You can also simply show up on the day of as there is no limit on walkers.
- Sign-up for weekly Walk2Connect emails here
- Keep checking our main event calendar here
- Follow us on Facebook here
- Become a [email protected] Champion here
- Learn more about leading walks in your area by becoming a Walking Movement Leader here
Connect with our social media community ~ @Walk2Connect | #Lifeat3MPH